Sunday, August 22, 2010

The 'Sweet' Birthday

My birthday falls on August 18, which I celebrated a few days ago. It was the sweetest birthday experience I ever had, literally. My birthday cake was a custard made by my friends, which I'm really grateful and touched by their thoughtfulness, as they have took the time and effort to do it despite the midst of a busy week.

The first mouthful of the custard however, was enough to make my body shiver as my tastebuds were suddenly jolted with a dose of insane sweetness that I can't describe with words. One thing for sure, eating this will surely give any living mortal a diabetes overnight. Smiling sadistically at my expression, they next threathened to pour the gooey custard on me should I failed to finish it. Oh well, so much for their 'thoughtfulness'...

Of course, I didn't get to finish it. They commenced on another 'dirty' prank first before finishing the custard on me. I didn't surrender to this fate without a struggle though. In the end, everyone is no less 'yuckier' than me. As with any food fight, the cleaning up was not easy with patches of sticky custard sticking on the walls and other surfaces, plus the sweet smell gives me a feeling of being inside a gingerbread house.

Despite being the victim, I really had a blast! Thanks to all those who are involved. I really appreciate it. I had never expect such a grandiose celebration (making that custard surely had took the whole afternoon) when assignments and tests are nearing their peak. I too, had been caught up with my workload and only expecting the usual verbal well-wishing or by worst, being dragged outside and thrown an egg. Indeed, I was proven very wrong! And to my beloved cheme gang, thank you for the lovely birthday card and mug. It is a wonderful surprise. This is indeed a memorable birthday.

This aside, as I keep mentioning, life for me is mostly occupied with academic matters. I have 2 lab reports weekly, a very tight Monday schedule (full lectures from morning till afternoon, with only one hour break for lunch), weekly assignments, and not to mention the occasional pop quizzes. I had made the right decision to be less involved in events this semester. The only clubs that I'm affiliated currently with are IchemE@UTP (a student body mainly catering to those taking chemical engineering in UTP) and UTP Chinese Orchestra. UTPCO had just went through a successful IntroNight and recruited many promising new members. IchemE@UTP too is taking off nicely, with many events planned in phases and soon to be launched. Things are progressing smoothly for both of the clubs.

Another busy week will unfold itself tomorrow so that is all the updates from me now. All the best! For my Muslim friends, wishing you all Selamat Ramadhan in this fasting month.

1 comment: