Sunday, June 14, 2009

Facebook makes the world smaller

I’m addicted to facebook!

I just discovered how much time I’d been spending on facebook instead of dota.

Things get more interesting as my mom and sister also joined the Facebook community recently. I foresee it won’t be long before they found out I have a blog.

Hence, from mom, I’m eventually linked to my high school teachers in SMK Kidurong. I miss them all. Wonder how would it feel like if the grown-up version of me step into high school and meet all the teachers again. Mom had been excited about uploading her photos to show her former colleagues how’s life for her and our family in KL. For Mom who’s rarely inclined to go online, perhaps she has discovered that it’s a real boost to stay in touch with people via photo-sharing and trading comments in Facebook besides using the phone.  

Recently too on Facebook, I had a few nice surprises when I bumped into some of my old friends and neighbours from my Bintulu hometown whom I’d been out of touch for so long.

Even more surprising is how some of them know the friends I know . “What?! Since when do they know each other?” The world is indeed a small place when you found out everyone is somehow connected to each other.

One thing I like about Facebook is its user-friendliness. Friends’ recent activities and latest photos are shown on notifications with the link given which will bring you straight to the content without you having to manually check their profiles, which will be time-consuming and troublesome. This is the main reason why Friendster lose out a lot compare to Facebook. Facebook is interactive, with notifications ready to direct you (and don’t forget there’s even a chat application readily available!), while Friendster is dead set in stone.

One more thing about Facebook is the mini-games that you can add as your applications. They’re so addictive! Plus, there’s some fun quizzes and tags that you can do if you’re too bored.

Ultimately, the cyber world has drawn everyone so close together that soon everything you do will be known not only to your friends, but your teachers, bosses, parents, cousins, and even your children.

It is easy with the rampant photo-sharing trend on just about anything everyone does nowadays. Imagine if a photo of your most embarrassing moment is ‘accidentally shared’ and exposed to the whole wide world,what will happen?

To sum things up, I’m still pretty neutral in accepting the fact that my world has become smaller. Is it good or bad? I’m eventually letting go some of my privacy. Yet, it’s a new and exciting way for my family to constantly check on me instead of mere phone calls.     

Nevertheless, I think I’d over-thought this issue and actually there’s nothing to worry about. As long as I guard my words and think twice before posting anything on cyber space, I won’t do anything regrettable right? 

Bear in mind that a keyboard, provided access to the cyber world, is always sharper and mightier than a pen or tongue.            

2 comments:

... said...

the sword is mightier than the tongue. the pen is mightier than the sword. the keyboard is mightier than the pen? new one. haha. i still think jz phone calls is much better?? haha

WK Chua said...

haha ya lor have to agree with you on that