Thursday, December 11, 2008

Just wondering, is my home safe?

I had been scrutinizing the news lately and the Bukit Antarabangsa landslide really sent the shivers down my spine.

Just imagine sitting in your house one fine day and suddenly everything around you, the walls, the ceiling, collapse without warning. Next thing you know (if you survived), you are buried and trapped in the dark until tons of debris.

Needless to say, the victims will be traumatized. Property losses can be replaced, but remember this: the loss of their loved ones can never be returned. Their lives will be haunted by the shadows of the past forever.

It is scarier to think that the landslide, ironically, may be caused by us humans. One wrong decision leading to dire consequences that we never imagine. Indeed, greed is an overwhelming venom that clouds mankind's morality and rational judgement, even to the extend that it compromises the safety of others.

After the tragedy had happened, everyone: the politicians, related authorities, writers, the public, (and perhaps bloggers like me), is quick to give their comments and next start pointing fingers at each other.

Nevertheless, I'm not here to join the blame game. I just want to voice my concern over the safety of the place where I had known as home and of course, my beloved family.

As we know, the Bukit Antarabangsa landslide is not the first landslide that had occured. Previous dark histories included the collapse of Highland Towers in 1993, Hulu Klang's landslide in 2002, and just recently as well, the Bukit Damansara landslide in which fortunately no one was injured. However, equally disturbing is the fact that Damansara is situated near to Puchong, which is currently the place I lived.

Yes, it is convincing to think that for now I'm safe and sound. Puchong has its own proper water drainage system, there's no development projects around the corner, and the area is nowhere short of lush green vegetations that covered the hillside.

But who knows? I can't be 100% sure. The weather is bad these few days with gloomy skies and thunderstorms. What if something unexpected happened? After all, the wrath of Mother Nature is unpredictable. On the other hand, perhaps I'm the one being paranoid. Why should I spoil my holiday mood by filling myself with these unfounded morbid thoughts? Yet, is it human nature to only start taking actions after "things" had really happened?

In short, at the end of the day, I just want to have a roof over my head, to be able to sleep soundly, to know that my family is safe, and to have a structurally stable place that I can without a doubt say "Home Sweet Home".

No comments: