Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Kapit Trip 18-23 Dec

Hi! It's good to be back again.. I hope everyone have a great Christmas. May God bless you all.

I had not been updating my blog for a while. As anyone can guess, I'm updating my family trip in Kapit. We has stayed for almost one week, and it is no doubt an enjoyable get-away from city life for a while.

It's a long journey to Kapit. First, we had to take a flight from KL to Sibu. When we arrived in Sibu, it's raining heavily. We reached the dock and boarded the ferry to Kapit.



For those who had not been to Kapit, there's 2 words that can be used to describe Kapit:
Rural, Peaceful.

Don't get the wrong thought. I'm not saying we are living in the midst of a jungle with no electricity and have to bath in the river. Kapit is a countryside, there ARE some areas like those I mentioned just now, but most of the area in Kapit is much developed with roads, shops, and concrete buidings and houses. There's even a huge sport complex with a proper running track for everyone.

Nevertheless, Kapit is still able to retain much of its countryside scenery. The town is quiet and peaceful and surrounded by Mother Nature. There's no such thing as "traffic jam" in Kapit, and the place bustling with most activties is the market. Kapit is a small town. An hour drive is enough to explore the whole town and driving from one place to another usually only takes a few minutes.

Most importantly is the friendliness and hospitality of the people here. People know one another greet each other whenever they meet. Kapit is trusting enough that you can leave your door house wide open during the day without fear of crimes. This is so much different from KL where every house is tightly guaded with tall walls and fences and neighbours don't even know each other exist.

Alrite, enough with the introduction..Get back to the topic:


We finally reached Kapit by afternoon. It's great to be reunited with everyone. There's a lot greetings made: my uncles, my aunts, my relatives and cousins, and the neighbours who are close to us. I didn't do much that afternoon. Exhausted from the trip, (plus not sleeping the previous night), I took a long nap and woke up almost at 7pm.

That night, a good friend in Kapit invited me to attend a Christmas Gift Exchange event. It was my first time attending this kind of event so it was quite an unforgettable experience. Plus, I had never been to a church in Kapit. It is different in a sense that the medium of communication is in Chinese and Hokkien. I had a lot of fun and met lots of new friends. It was an enjoyable night. Must thank my friend again. Sorry no pictures....

Other than that, I must say Kapit had the greatest food. There's an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables from my grandparents' orchard. The fish and meat is also fresh. Plus, my aunts know how to make the best delicacies.

My favourite for instance is the Wantan soup. The Wantan is home-made so it has a bigger proportion of meat inside compared to those conventional ones served at food outlets. Undeniably, food outlets are more profit-oriented and they only serve a few meagre clump of wantan with the soup highly loaded with MSG. But here my bowl is brimming with mouth-watering wantan that you can hardly see the soup! Thumbs up!



Besides that, also had to chance the savour the dumplings, also known as "ba-chang"(in Hokkien) here. My aunt's friends made them so again the meat or the "fillings" has a bigger proportion.

During the Winter Solstice, I also had the chance to make some glutinious rice balls, also known as "tang yuan" in chinese. My young cousins all participate and as the saying goes, "the more the merrier!"

If I'm not mistaken, the tradition is that we are to suppose to have one "tang yuan" per year of age in our soup, so I'm only suppose to have 18 tang yuan this year. But I exceed the limit and lost count taking as much as I want until I'm satisfied. Never mind gua...There's still enough left for everyone. After all, I' not going to have 50 tang yuan when I'm 50 years old. That's an insane amount! So better make up for it by eating more this year. XD

Apart from all that, I spent the rest of my time strolling and enjoying the countryside view. I'm an avid animal lover and there's plenty of furry friends here in Kapit, be it cats or dogs. I also spent most of my evening time at the sport complex if it's not raining. Time flew very back. The night before we left, we went to eat at a restaurant. The seafood there is simply delicious!

It had also been raining when we went back to KL. In fact, it had been raining for the past few days in Kapit too. It's typical for Sarawak to get hit by the rainy season at the end of the year.
That's all for now. Below are some random pictures so enjoy :)

Behold-The Giant Mushroom!

My uncle's truck. I'd like to try sitting behind there when the truck is moving but my dad said it's too dangerous =.=


Fishermen's boats. They usually unload their goods at the market.


Kapit's sport complex


It's gonna rain..


That's my new sandals!!!


The Gang of Four Dogs!

1 comment:

~Jasmine~ said...

nice trip..
i like the introduction..hehe..
myb can ask mdm.christine to check it for u..
LOL!!
XD